Registration to be a WHYFH Referee for the 2023 Fall season
All refs must:
1. Live in West Hartford
2. Attend and play field hockey in High School (if you do not meet this criteria, please contact Jane Yousman)
Go to the website and create an account for yourself.
Register under “myself” then “volunteer” choose “other” as relationship to player. This brings you to a screen with choices one is “2023 WHYFH REFEREE Registration”.
STEP 1: Online Certification Course
- Everyone must complete the NFHS online ref. certification course using the following link - https://nfhslearn.com/courses/officiating-field-hockey. To do this, you will need to create an account and select Connecticut as your state. The course takes approximately 30 minutes and is free. Once you have completed the course, please send your certificate of completion to Jane Yousman at [email protected] no later than Sunday, September 3rd.
STEP 2: Field Certification
- Freshmen will need to attend a separate on field training certification session to be able to referee WHYFH Sticklette (3rd and 4th grades) games. Date for field training: Saturday, September 9th at 11am. Please reach out to Jane Yousman if you are unable to attend this training. Training will on the turf field at Conard High School.
- All Sophomores and new refs who have not passed the full field certification must attend field certification training the first weekend of play - Sunday, September 10th (10:15 to 3:30). Please look for an email from Jane to sign up for a certification time.
- All refs who are RETURNING REFS must take the online course but do NOT have to do field certification.
- ANY BRAND NEW REFEREE who is a Sophomore, Junior or Senior must complete the online course and on field session.
- Freshmen will be eligible to referee Sticklettes games only. $20/ref/game
- Sophomores will referee Junior Division (5th & 6th grades) only. $40/ref/game
- Juniors and Seniors - will referee Junior and Senior Division (7th & 8th grades). $40/ref/game
We scale the number of maximum games by seniority so:
Seniors get 4 games maximum
Juniors get 3 games maximum
Sophomores get 2 games maximum
Freshman, get 2 games maximum.
STEP 4: Game Day
- You must arrive before the game starts, fully dressed and actively ref the game for safety, fairness, and fun.
- All Refs should wear black and white stripes or a bright yellow shirt, black shorts or pants, and bring a digital watch to all games you referee.
- Refs will be provided a battery operated whistle.
- Please make sure you CHECK your EMAIL as game time changes or cancelations will come directly to your email.
NEED TO CANCEL A GAME?
If, after you register for a game, but then decide you cannot make it and it is over a week away, just log back into the system and uncheck yourself from that game.
If it is LESS THAN A WEEK from your game and you cannot make it, please contact un-register yourself from the game as described above AND email/text (475-331-5039), Jane Yousman to find a replacement for you. If you have one, please check with Jane first before we automatically assign your friend to the game.
If you have any questions, please email me.
Remember, keep it safe by blowing your whistle hard, early, and often. Be in control of the game. Call bunching and spread the girls out.
Thank you for reffing and your help in developing our youth in this great sport. I will be at many of the games to offer you support and encouragement, answer questions, and just generally be available to help you do your best work.